Wilmington NC Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Wilmington NC Pedestrian Accident Lawyer: Fighting for Your Rights
Pedestrian accidents in Wilmington, NC can result in severe injuries and devastating consequences. Our dedicated pedestrian accident lawyer is here to help you navigate the legal process and fight for the compensation you deserve.
Why You Need a Wilmington NC Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Expertise in Pedestrian Accident Laws: Our skilled lawyer has in-depth knowledge of Wilmington’s pedestrian accident laws and understands the complexities involved in these cases. We will ensure your rights are protected throughout the legal process.
- Investigation and Evidence Collection: We will conduct a thorough investigation, gathering crucial evidence such as accident reports, witness statements, and surveillance footage. This evidence is vital in establishing liability and building a strong case on your behalf.
- Negotiating with Insurance Companies: Dealing with insurance companies can be challenging, as they often try to minimize settlements. Our experienced lawyer will handle all communications with the insurance companies, advocating for fair compensation for your injuries and losses.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in Wilmington NC
- Distracted Driving: Drivers distracted by cell phones, texting, or other distractions pose a significant risk to pedestrians.
- Failure to Yield: Drivers who fail to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians, particularly at crosswalks or intersections, can cause serious accidents.
- Impaired Driving: Drivers under the influence of alcohol or drugs are a major cause of pedestrian accidents.
Types of Injuries in Wilmington NC Pedestrian Accidents
- Broken Bones and Fractures: Pedestrians often suffer from broken bones and fractures due to the impact of the collision.
- Head and Brain Injuries: Severe head and brain injuries can occur when pedestrians are struck by vehicles.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Pedestrian accidents can result in spinal cord injuries, leading to long-term disabilities.
What to Do After a Pedestrian Accident in Wilmington NC
- Seek Medical Attention: Your health is a priority. Get immediate medical attention, even if your injuries seem minor. Some injuries may not be immediately apparent.
- Report the Accident: Contact the police to report the accident and obtain an official report.
- Document the Scene: Take photos of the accident scene, including vehicle damage, skid marks, and any visible injuries.
Filing a Pedestrian Accident Claim in Wilmington NC
- Statute of Limitations: There is a limited timeframe to file a pedestrian accident claim in Wilmington NC. It’s important to consult with a lawyer promptly to ensure compliance with the statute of limitations.
- Establishing Liability: Our lawyer will gather evidence and work to establish the negligence of the at-fault party. This is crucial in determining liability for the accident.
- Seeking Compensation: We will pursue full and fair compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages resulting from the accident.
Increased Chance of Pedestrians Being Hit by Larger Passenger Vehicles:
According to a study conducted by the U.S. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), drivers in SUVs, pickup trucks, and other large vehicles are significantly more likely to hit pedestrians, particularly when making turns, compared to those in smaller vehicles. The study suggests that the thicker A-pillars and taller ride height of these bigger vehicles may hinder visibility, limiting the driver’s view of pedestrians crossing the road.
Pedestrian crash deaths in the U.S. have been on the rise since 2009, with over 6,500 pedestrian fatalities recorded in 2020 alone, an increase of 59% from 2009. Another 54,700 pedestrians were injured in crashes. The IIHS identifies the increasing prevalence of larger vehicles as a suspected factor contributing to this trend.
The study focused on the most common types of crashes involving a single vehicle and a single pedestrian at or near intersections. It found that crashes involving vehicles making left turns were about twice as high for SUVs, nearly three times as high for vans and minivans, and almost four times as high for pickup trucks compared to cars.
In crashes involving vehicles making right turns and resulting in pedestrian fatalities, pickup trucks were 89% more likely and SUVs were 63% more likely to be involved compared to cars. Between 2014 and 2018, these types of turns accounted for over 900 out of approximately 5,800 fatal pedestrian crashes at or near intersections.
The researchers also examined crashes involving pedestrians walking or running along the road, which accounted for around 2,500 out of approximately 14,000 fatal pedestrian crashes not at intersections. The odds of pedestrians being killed were found to be 51% higher for drivers of SUVs and 25% higher for drivers of pickup trucks compared to those in cars. The study considered factors such as the prevalence of larger vehicles and pedestrians walking alongside roads, including rural areas.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Here are some frequently asked questions about pedestrian accidents in Wilmington, NC, along with their answers:
Q: What should I do immediately after a pedestrian accident in Wilmington NC? A: First, ensure your safety and seek medical attention for any injuries. Call the police to report the accident and gather information from the driver involved and any witnesses. Document the scene, take photos, and gather any evidence that may help support your case.
Q: Can I file a pedestrian accident claim if the accident was partially my fault? A: North Carolina follows a contributory negligence rule, which means if you are found even slightly at fault for the accident, you may be barred from recovering any compensation. It is crucial to consult with an experienced pedestrian accident lawyer to evaluate your case and determine the best course of action.
Q: How long do I have to file a pedestrian accident claim in Wilmington NC? A: In North Carolina, the statute of limitations for filing a personal injury claim, including pedestrian accidents, is generally three years from the date of the accident. However, it is advisable to consult with a lawyer promptly to ensure compliance with all deadlines and preserve crucial evidence.
Q: What damages can I recover in a pedestrian accident claim? A: If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, you may be entitled to various damages, including medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, property damage, and future medical costs. An experienced pedestrian accident lawyer will assess your case and help you pursue the full compensation you deserve.
Q: How can a pedestrian accident lawyer help me with my claim? A: A skilled pedestrian accident lawyer can provide invaluable assistance by investigating the accident, gathering evidence, negotiating with insurance companies on your behalf, and advocating for your rights. They will guide you through the legal process, ensuring your best interests are protected and fighting for fair compensation.
Remember, every pedestrian accident case is unique, and it is essential to consult with a qualified pedestrian accident lawyer to discuss the specific details of your case and receive personalized legal advice.
Contact Our Wilmington NC Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Today
If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident in Wilmington NC, don’t hesitate to seek legal representation. Contact our experienced Wilmington NC pedestrian accident lawyer today for a free consultation. We are ready to fight for your rights and help you obtain the compensation you deserve.
Other Personal Injury and Accident Practice Areas
In addition to our expertise in handling pedestrian accident cases in Wilmington, NC, our skilled personal injury lawyers also provide legal representation for various other practice areas, such as rideshare accidents. If you or a loved one have been involved in any of the following accidents, we are here to assist you:
- Car Accidents: Our experienced car accident lawyers will fight for your rights and help you navigate the complexities of car accident claims in Wilmington, NC.
- Truck Accidents: If you’ve been injured in a truck accident, our knowledgeable truck accident lawyers will pursue fair compensation for your injuries and losses.
- Motorcycle Accidents: Our skilled motorcycle accident lawyers have a deep understanding of motorcycle accident laws and will work tirelessly to protect your rights.
- Wrongful Death: Losing a loved one due to someone else’s negligence is devastating. Our compassionate wrongful death lawyers will guide you through the legal process and seek justice on behalf of your family.
- Bicycle Accidents: If you’ve been injured in a bicycle accident, our dedicated bicycle accident lawyers will fight for your rights and help you obtain the compensation you deserve.
- Slip and Fall Accidents: If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident due to someone else’s negligence, our skilled slip and fall lawyers will help you pursue a premises liability claim.